For more information on these pages and subjects you might want to check out these resources.
Nagle: It was created as the Department of Street Cleaning in 1881, and renamed the Department of Sanitation in 1929. But it was actually made effective for the first time in 1895, in that the people who worked for the department actually collected garbage and swept the streets.
- vintage everyday
- Library of congress
- The New York Public Library Digital Collections
- When the “White Wings” cleaned up New York
- Wages in the United States
- Horses Don’t Use Litter Boxes!
- A Filthy History: When New Yorkers Lived Knee-Deep in Trash
- He Cleaned the Streets, and Left the Presidency to Others
- Garbage and the City